Winning photographs from ‘Capture Rutland’ photography competition
Young people of Rutland were invited to take part in the High Sheriff’s Photography Competition by taking a photograph that captures something ‘special about Rutland’.
Congratulations to all prizewinners – I very much enjoyed meeting you at the Prizewinners’ Presentation evening at Goldmark Gallery, Uppingham.
On Wednesday 26th February the winning photographers and their families met at Goldmark Gallery, Uppingham, for the ‘Capture Rutland’ Presentation Evening. Twelve stunning photographs had been framed and hung on display in the gallery for all to admire. The images showcased many beautiful sights around Rutland including pictures across Rutland Water, wildlife, historic buildings and sailing & cycling. The photographers and their guests had time to look around this beautiful gallery at the start of the evening before the awards were presented. Rob Persani and Richard Adams had been the judges of the competitions throughout the year, which had proved quite a demanding task given the high quality and quantity of entrants to each of the three competitions. It was great to be able to personally congratulate each winner and to present them with a voucher and certificate. Jay Goldmark presented a cheque to Lucinda Foulkes-Arnold from the charity Warning Zone. Lucinda gave a brief talk about the activity of this great charity that helps to educate our youngtsres on safety and crime-reduction. Richard Adams (local photographer) also spoke about his experiences as a photographer and reminded us all ‘not to put our cameras/phones away’ in bad light or bad weather, as often great shots can be captured then. Many thanks to all who helped make this competition such a success for our young people : Goldmark Gallery, Uppingham (for sponsoring the prizes, the charitable donation and the presentation evening), Rob Persani and Richard Adams (for judging the competitions) and the young photographers for sharing their fabulous photograaphs. I hope that they continue to ‘Capture Rutland’.
Prizes and charitable donations were kindly gifted by Goldmark Gallery, Uppingham.
In the third and final competition (end date 31st January), we had the most entrants ever ! There were some beautiful photographs so the standard was very high. The two winning photographs are shown below. Additionally six photos from the whole competition have been chosen for the High Sheriff’s Specially Commended award. Well done to ALL entrants, especially those gaining awards.
Winner (age 11 and under), Hugh Tervet
Winner (age 12- 18 years), Thomas Selby
High Sheriff’s Specially Commended photographs, from the whole competition….
In the second competition (end date 31st October) there was another great selection of photographs from around the county. Thank you to all who took part – the judges and I really enjoyed looking closely at all the photographs. There are two winners and several photographers received Highly Commended certificates. A few of the photographs are shown below…..
Winner (age 12 – 18 years), Ellen Wilson, age 13….
Winner (Age 11 and under) , Charlie Frieland, age 9….
And here are three Highly Commended photographs from (L to R) Thomas Selby, Charlie Davies and Elizabeth Wells……
For the first competition (end date 31st July) there were some fabulously creative photographs from photographers aged 5 – 17 years . Thank you to all who took part – the standard was high and impressed our two judges. A number of Highly Commended certificates were awarded but our two winners were:
Archie Mahan, age 10 from Clipsham…….
Freddie Lea , aged 12 from South Luffenham……..
Great photos from Archie and Freddie. Many Congratulations to you both. Clearly there is a cycling theme here !! I look forward to meeting you at the Presentation evening in March 2020 when you will receive your prizes.
- You must be aged 18 years or under and live or attend school/college or work in Rutland.
- There are three competitions with deadlines for submission of: 31 July 2019 (Summer), 31Oct 2019 (Autumn) , and 31 Jan 2020 (Winter).
- There are two age categories for each competition: one for photographers aged 11 years and under and the other for those aged 12 – 18 years.
- Photographs should be at least 1Mb in resolution
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Capture Rutland’ in the subject line. Photographs should be attached to the email together with the photographer’s name, age, name of school/college attended and village/town in which they live and the name and contact number for the photographer’s parent/guardian/carer.
- Or tag @rutlandhighsheriff19 on Instagram
- Photographers may enter a maximum of three photographs per competition and are welcome to add a comment about their photograph. No faces of people should be seen in the photographs.
- A few days after the deadline of each competition, the two winners (one from each age category) will be notified. The winning photographs may be published in a local paper. Judges: Mr Richard Adams (local photographer) and Mr Rob Persani (Rutland Radio presenter)
- Prizewinners will receive an Amazon voucher worth £25. Sponsors will donate the prize money together with a charitable donation. Prizes will be awarded at a Presentation evening in February or March 2020.